z

Young Writers Society



'Ellipses' - Chapter One

by Roo 2


Preface

On my fifth birthday, my brand new bunk bed collapsed. On my lungs.

Of course, I was immediately rushed away in an ambulance. And despite the EMT's pinging machines and pumping valves and flashing lights, they lost me for only the briefest amount of time.

But still. I was clinically dead for three minutes and fifty-nine seconds.

When I awoke to those anxious hospital strangers in their masks like villains, I told them I’d seen heaven. And they tapped their watches and shot each other looks and somehow convinced me that it was all a dream.

And so I believed them. I believed them for eleven years and I forgot and forgot and forgot. But closing my eyes now, I can still see that blinding, consuming light that shone out of everywhere, even my own pores. I see that white and white and endless white. I see those final marble steps that I wasn’t allowed to climb because no, no, it wasn’t my time yet.

And so sometimes, after everything that’s happen, I picture that heavenly dream and I wonder if I really did make up all of those angels on my own.

1. See

Wallflowers have an interesting life.

It involves sitting on folding metal chairs on the outskirts of parties with plastic cups of Hawaiian punch, and watching other people live.

Here, among all of the soon-to-be juniors, was my life. Or our lives, because tonight---only a week away from going back to high school after a summer-long hibernation---we seemed to be one living, laughing, growing-paining organism. It was nice, though, we’d all spent so much time away from one another that we were willing to forgive and forget past wrongdoings for this one night. It was a reunion of sorts, the annual end-of-the-summer party that we all went to---the geeks, the jocks, the burnouts, the goths, and even me, who wasn’t typical party-girl material---even though we all hated it in varying degrees. But still, we loved it like we hated it.

Feeling nostalgic and melancholy like at the end of every long and sunsetty summer, I’d isolated myself in a dark corner of the party, next to the punch bowl and the spare Chinese lanterns.

Everything was in place for the new school year, routine and functioning like it should. Like always.

Cheerleaders whispered over their cans of light beer, a boy dumped his girlfriend and watched her cry, jocks slapped hands, wallflowers abounded. My friends sat on the hood of someone’s car and snapped pictures with cheap disposable cameras. One of them noticed me again and beckoned me over.

It was high time to stop feeling antique and go to them, so I nodded slowly, weighing my ponytail back and forth with the movement.

With some effort, I unfolded my feet from underneath me and shook out the pins and needles, bending down to retrieve my soda. I felt sort of like I’d wasted most of the fun, careless evening by sitting and watching and sipping soda pop by myself---after all, school restarted in one week exactly, and I hadn’t seen most of these friends since the end of May. But there was something about teenagers acting like teenagers that turned me off, and I was in a bad mood anyway.

I trekked over to Abby’s truck, dodging running boys throwing their Nerf football and couples watching the stars on the grass.

“Evy!” Misty welcomed as soon as I made it over to them, “You’re alive! Where’ve you been all night?”

I clambered onto the hood of the truck, raising one shoulder and lowering the other. “Just thinking.”

“Thinking?” Abby scoffed, “At a party?” She guffawed.

Misty intervened, “Have you danced with anyone, Evy?”

I shook my head, smiling slightly. They should know. “I was hiding out over there.” I pointed with my soda can.

Abby laughed again. “You looked so lonely!”

Annabel---dyed purple by the soft paper lanterns hanging overhead---ambled over to us with a plate of chips and salsa. Abby lifted her camera and snapped a candid.

Annabel smiled her pastel smile, bland and comforting and intelligent. “Evy. You’ve come back to us.”

I nodded noncommittally, and looked back over the party approvingly. It was one of the more successful class summer parties, always held in Connor Barrimore’s big backyard. There was the familiar self-conscience and judgmental aura all around the almost-juniors that I knew so well from school---analyzing whatever everyone else was doing and then trying to do it, too. But it was okay, expected.

The weather was nicer than it had been in weeks---muggy, warm---but cooler now that the sun was dropping lower and lower over the beachy skyline. The sky was surprisingly cloudless for once, not a trace of fog, and you could see the stars.

There was a sort of lucky perfection in the clear weather, the smell of the grilled macaroni and hot dogs the football players were barbequing, and the three-month-long forgiveness of peers that were willing to give you a clean slate so long as you would act like everyone else this year. There would be low-budget street fireworks, I knew, since the ground was dry enough. The annual Connor Barrimore Toast at the end of the evening would be funny and meaningless, but it would act as a pep talk for the coming year. Then we’d go back to our cliquish circles of friends and we’d gossip and watch until it was finally time to go home again.

“Have you eaten yet, Evy?” Misty asked me, gesturing to my soda can.

“Chips and pineapple, nothing really large. Maybe I’ll go get a hot dog.”

“Not grilled macaroni? It’s a tradition.”

I wrinkled my nose in distaste. “Not for me.”

Dawn looked up from her fingernails and gave me a disparaging snort. “Stop being so picky, Evy,” she belittled, “You can’t always get what you want.”

We ignored her snide slights, like always.

“Fortunately for me,” I said cheerily, “I can. They’ve got hot dogs, remember?”

Dawn sniffed, and went back to looking superiorly at her nails. I hopped off the truck’s hood, sensing victory.

“I’ll come with you,” Annabel said, and slid off of the truck next to me.

As we trotted over to the big gridiron grills that were spitting gray smoke and the smell of burning macaroni, the lanterns threw their soft colors over Annabel, making her change hues rapidly. But she was so easy to intrude color on. Annabel was a pastel sort of person, with her white-blond hair and matching skin, and her colorless eyelashes. Even her powder blue tank top and silver framed glasses added to her classic Annabel look.

I followed her timidly up to the grills, not making eye contact with the quarterback serving the food, and quickly skirted around him to get to the chips-and-cookies-plus-celery-sticks-that-no-one-are-eating table as soon as he deposited a hot dog onto my bun. My devastating shyness was to the level of “social handicap” already, and I didn’t want him to see me turn pink.

“You want to come over to my house after this?” Annabel asked me as I plunged my hand into the nearest bag of potato chips and dropped them on my plate, following this up with two more chance flavors, one of which might have been “jalapeño lime”.

“Misty and Abby are already coming over. But just us. We can, I don’t know, watch a movie? Eat some more junk food?”

It was nearing eleven o’clock right now, and my eyelids were getting heavy. But I didn’t want to disappoint her. “Sure.”

She tucked a strand of pale hair behind her ear. “Do you have a ride? How did you get here?”

“My mom is out, so she let me take the Prius.” My mother’s rule had been the same since before my sister or I had even dreamed of driving an automobile: “If you really want to drive, you’ll save up and buy your own car.” And I’d never committed to saving up the money, so I was without transportation most of the time.

“Ooh,” Annabel complimented, “Look who’s driving.” This was in fact the first time that I’d actually driven a car since I got my license back in July, because I wasn’t insured anymore now that I wasn’t a learner.

I grinned. “Watch out.”

“I guess Misty and I will carpool over to my house with Abby, and you can drive yourself.”

“Are we escaping early?” I wondered.

We were back to the truck, and Misty must have overheard. She looked appalled. “No! We’re staying for fireworks. And The Toast.”

I sighed, but didn’t protest as I climbed up to sit by her.

Right on cue, Connor Barrimore stood up on a picnic table and cupped his hands over his mouth like a megaphone.

“Hey, everyone!” he called to his audience.

“Hey, Connor!” a few kids cackled back.

Connor laughed with them charismatically. “We’ve got fireworks going in the front!”

Everyone whooped and hollered.

Connor leaped off the table and started to run in the right direction, just as a BOOM and a reddish plume of smoke wafted in our direction from the front yard.

“Smoke bombs!” somebody cheered, and suddenly everyone was in the mood for cheap grocery store fireworks, and we all hopped up from wherever we were, and jogged around the house to meet the next round of colorful smoke bombs and firecrackers.

•••

The party was a big success and everyone was feeling the love after The Toast, which was so well delivered that it was practically stand-up comedy, and the mile long train of hugs everyone dished out when we were told that it was time to clear out.

I was feeling happier than when I showed up to the party---less burdened down by the approaching school year---and I was excited to go hang out at Annabel’s house, something I hadn’t done since last May.

Plus I got to drive the Prius there, and finally feel like a big girl again, with my car keys and my shiny and neglected driver’s license.

I hopped into the front seat, waving goodbye to the others as they all got into their separate cars and parted. Abby was driving Marisol and Daniela both home, so I’d definitely beat them to Annabel’s house with lots of time to spare.

With nothing to do but drive in circles around Annabel’s neighborhood, I decided to drive to the beach and back---Annabel lived close---figuring that we could meet up at about the same time.

So I peeled out on the main road, looking beach-ward and driving only a little bit faster than the speed limit.

I got there faster than I had wanted to, with more minutes to spare and nothing to do. A walk on the beach would take too long, plus the icy gusts of wind that were beginning to blow off of the water were sure to be killer. But I feared falling asleep if I stayed sitting in the cab of my car, so I popped in a soft jazzy CD and cranked the volume knob around enough times that I could hear the mumble of the sax when I clambered into the chilly air and leaned against the car’s hood.

My thoughts roamed aimlessly. Minor, mild things caught my attention: the sea foam and the spot where I imagined the moon would be if it weren’t a new moon tonight. The stars were brave.

I liked to test the beach at night, staring down the stillness, looking away from the ocean fast enough to capture a certain immobility in the frame-by-frame waves, and speaking just loud enough for the silence to hear me.

“It’s late,” I murmured to the beach. “I’m the only one here. It’s only me.”

Late night beach bums were lost somewhere on the sandy boardwalk or the dock; they wouldn’t dare bother me under my abandoned cliffs in the dark.

And the waves and I were the only things alive to make a sound.

But wait. I cocked my head to the side, imagining I heard a disturbance in the water. No sea monsters, no impending doom, just a dog or another human coming to disrupt my peace. But I definitely wasn’t imagining it; there was a sloshy static rhythm conflicting with the pattern of the waves.

Footsteps, and coming this way. Rationally, people came to this beach all the time, during the late night and early morning, and I shouldn’t care if another random beach runner came jogging by me. But the coward inside of me quivered and noted suddenly how dark it was, here under the new moon and the cliffs. The sound was getting much closer, and I couldn’t see what was making the noise.

Always safe and sometimes sorry, I inched back into the car and shut off my CD. Curious still, I flipped on my brights to try and catch the perpetrator.

And I did.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 1080
Reviews: 18

Donate
Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:02 am
AlphaGirl01 wrote a review...



Hey, it's Serena. Let's get started with the review.
CHARACTERS:Evy does seem like a very interesting character. She's kind of the suffro in silence type, but still has friends she likes and vice versa. She seems very thoughtful. At certain points, she seemed very secluded, and at other points, very social. Linx does have a point: you say she's a wallflower, but when she talks to her friends, she seems very social and talkative.

WRITING STYLE/GRAMMAR: As far as grammar goes, it was pretty much flawless. I didn't see any typos or misspelled words in this piece. So, good job on that :-)!!! For you r writing style, it is very good. I like your writing style. It is very descriptive. This piece makes me feel like I am the person. The characters almost seem real and I'm watching it as this all happens. The way you left us on a cliffhanger is a very good key in writing and you wrote it well at the end. Keep working on it and you'll have a really good first chapter. I can't wait to read the rest of the chapters. It seems like a very interesting book. I really want to know who the culprit is.




User avatar
228 Reviews


Points: 1203
Reviews: 228

Donate
Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:28 am
Linx wrote a review...



Rooooo! :D Hiya! So I finally got around to reviewing this. :)


On my fifth birthday, my brand new bunk bed collapsed. On my lungs.

Oooh, I love this as an opening line! But, the on my lungs sounds weird sounds a little weird. A bunk bed is big, right? So if it fell, it couldn't just fall on the lungs. It has to fall on the whole body. Just saying lungs sounds a little weird, darling.



But still. I was clinically dead for three minutes and fifty-nine seconds.

Take out the bolded part. It would sound better with out it, dear.



When I awoke to those anxious hospital strangers in their masks like villains, I told them I’d seen heaven.

Saying those sounds awkward in this sentence. Like, they aren't mentioned before. Instead of saying those, why not re-word the sentence without it. I like how you said the hospital people's masks looked like villains though. It's nice. ^_^



And so I believed them. I believed them for eleven years and I forgot and forgot and forgot.


And so sometimes, after everything that’s happen, I picture that heavenly dream and I wonder if I really did make up all of those angels on my own.

Here, these two lines kinda argue with each other. The first line suggests that she stopped believing that she had died and it was just a dream. Like, she totally forgot that she thought that she died. But in the second line, it says that she sometimes wonders. Kinda confusing, darling. ^_^



“You want to come over to my house after this?” Annabel asked me as I plunged my hand into the nearest bag of potato chips and dropped them on my plate, following this up with two more chance flavors, one of which might have been “jalapeño lime”.

“Misty and Abby are already coming over. But just us. We can, I don’t know, watch a movie? Eat some more junk food?”

You can put the second line up with the first paragraph. That is Annabel speaking, right? If it is, just move it up. That way, we can tell that it is her speaking. So just push it up! :D


“Are we escaping early?” I wondered.

Was she wondering inside her head or did she wonder outloud? Because of the way you worded the sentence, it makes it sound like she was just thinking it inside her head. So, whichever way it's supposed to be. ^_^



The party was a big success and everyone was feeling the love after The Toast, which was so well delivered that it was practically stand-up comedy, and the mile long train of hugs everyone dished out when we were told that it was time to clear out.

This is one huuuuuuuge sentence, darling. Why not break it up a little instead of just having it as one huuuuuge thing. ;) Like, replace some of the commas with periods. Just do whatever to make the sentence sound good. ^_^



So I peeled out on the main road, looking beach-ward and driving only a little bit faster than the speed limit.

The people that I have reviewed a lot and regularly begin to see that I have a really bad pet peeve - Starting sentences with so. It's kinda silly, but it annoys me to death. It's just...argh. It sounds bad in a story, in my opinion. Just take out the so and the sentence should be okay. ^_^



Roooooo. ^_^ Just thought I would, uh, put that. Or something.



Characters :arrow: So, Evy seems like an interesting girl definitely. But, during the second part, it seemed like it had no reference to when the bunk bed fell on her. Wouldn't that have a huge influence on her life? Like, would she have any scars? Why not show something in the second part that has to do witih her "dying." Like, make her look at a scar. Or one of her friends ask if she is okay. Something about it into this part of the story. It would help out the story. ^_^ It would, it would!



Also, just a thing I noticed kinda. You said that Evy was like a wallflower, but then when she goes to her friends, it's like she has a million of them. Would that still be a wallflower, technically? Or maybe she is just a kinda person who sometimes likes to go alone and be quiet, but does have friends. It just seemed weird that she was called a wallflower, but seemed to have a lot of friends. :D



Writing and language and grammar and stuff :arrow: Your grammar was almost flawless, Roo! At least, it was in my eyes. :D Good job!


I also like your writing style a lot. It's really nice. ^_^ But since you are writing this in first person, why don't you kinda put a little more personality into the story. If it's in first person, that means the MC is telling the story, right? Try putting a little more of the personality of your character while writing the story. Would Evy say certain things? Put that in the story! Does she get sidetracked easily? Put that in the story!

Like, here, you are just telling it. Like, "I walked to my friends when one of them beckoned me over." Instead, pretend you are Evy and you are in that situation. Did Evy see them out of the corner of her eye, waving at her? Did she sigh and groan whenever she saw them? Give a little more life into telling the story! Make it Evy's story. :D



Keep writing, Roo! I can't wait to see what you do with this idea. :D I'm, um, what's the word? Interested? something like that. ^_^


Feel free to bother me if you have any questions or comments. :D


~Linx




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 14

Donate
Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:40 pm
Roo 2 says...



Thanks both of you for reviewing! :*




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 1294
Reviews: 25

Donate
Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:13 pm
cnvalambrosia wrote a review...



You better write more soon!

I think this was a very great beginning. Your character thinks the same way as I do, so you must have displayed a very very shy girl very well. Good job! I found this story captivating since I can relate to it easily and that (of course) the preaface foreshadows the coming events (which must be pretty wierd) And then that awful CLIFFHANGER... no, that makes me want to read #2 .

However, I lost focus at the beach scene. Do you think it could use more detail? I wasn't sure myself.

pm me when post next.




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:06 pm
Laina wrote a review...



Hey ^^ So I'm new at reviewing stories on here, but hey, it's better than nothing, right? Sorry if I overdo it on the quotes, I just find them handy.

So first off, I quite like this. "Urban fantasy" (the name just makes me giggle, I don't know why) is my favourite genres and romance is always fun. But this is easy to read and the characters are really cool. Evy seems really neat and fun to read.

Okay, about your preface:

On my fifth birthday, my brand new bunk bed collapsed. On my lungs.

Of course, I was immediately rushed away in an ambulance. And despite the EMT's pinging machines and pumping valves and flashing lights, they lost me for only the briefest amount of time.

But still. I was clinically dead for three minutes and fifty-nine seconds.

When I awoke to those anxious hospital strangers in their masks like villains, I told them I’d seen heaven. And they tapped their watches and shot each other looks and somehow convinced me that it was all a dream.

And so I believed them. I believed them for eleven years and I forgot and forgot and forgot. But closing my eyes now, I can still see that blinding, consuming light that shone out of everywhere, even my own pores. I see that white and white and endless white. I see those final marble steps that I wasn’t allowed to climb because no, no, it wasn’t my time yet.

And so sometimes, after everything that’s happen, I picture that heavenly dream and I wonder if I really did make up all of those angels on my own.


This is a tiny thing, but are you hitting the spacebar twice after a period? The extra spaces look a bit odd.

That's not a big deal, though, so about the style here. You have a couple of sentence fragments that don't flow too well. Like this

On my fifth birthday, my brand new bunk bed collapsed. On my lungs.

Of course, I was immediately rushed away in an ambulance. And despite the EMT's pinging machines and pumping valves and flashing lights, they lost me for only the briefest amount of time.


I'd probably change that to something like "On my fifth birthday, my brand new bunk bed collapsed on my lungs." Or even make lungs chest or "on top of me", because it's like something collapsing on your liver. That's just a logistics thing, though.

Then, if I was you, I'd take out the period after ambulance and change the A to a lowercase A. I think the flow would be a bit better and you really need the beginning to grab your reader and pull them in.

1. See

Wallflowers have an interesting life.

It involves sitting on folding metal chairs on the outskirts of parties with plastic cups of Hawaiian punch, and watching other people live.

Here, among all of the soon-to-be juniors, was my life. Or our lives, because tonight---only a week away from going back to high school after a summer-long hibernation---we seemed to be one living, laughing, growing-paining organism. It was nice, though, we’d all spent so much time away from one another that we were willing to forgive and forget past wrongdoings for this one night. It was a reunion of sorts, the annual end-of-the-summer party that we all went to---the geeks, the jocks, the burnouts, the goths, and even me, who wasn’t typical party-girl material---even though we all hated it in varying degrees. But still, we loved it like we hated it.

Feeling nostalgic and melancholy like at the end of every long and sunsetty summer, I’d isolated myself in a dark corner of the party, next to the punch bowl and the spare Chinese lanterns.


I like this a lot. I'm actually not a big fan of your preface, but this made me keep reading. You should maybe consider using your preface later and just making this your beginning.

Couple things, though. When you do this --- Don't. Just do one. It's distracting otherwise.

About this part "Feeling nostalgic and melancholy like at the end of every long and sunsetty summer", you might be better off picking one of those, nostalgic or melancholy. Sometimes less is more. And sunsetty isn't a word, hon. :P Try this "Feeling nostalgic like at the end of every long summer" instead, see if you like it. ^^

Everything was in place for the new school year, routine and functioning like it should. Like always.

Cheerleaders whispered over their cans of light beer, a boy dumped his girlfriend and watched her cry, jocks slapped hands, wallflowers abounded. My friends sat on the hood of someone’s car and snapped pictures with cheap disposable cameras. One of them noticed me again and beckoned me over.

It was high time to stop feeling antique and go to them, so I nodded slowly, weighing my ponytail back and forth with the movement.

With some effort, I unfolded my feet from underneath me and shook out the pins and needles, bending down to retrieve my soda. I felt sort of like I’d wasted most of the fun, careless evening by sitting and watching and sipping soda pop by myself---after all, school restarted in one week exactly, and I hadn’t seen most of these friends since the end of May. But there was something about teenagers acting like teenagers that turned me off, and I was in a bad mood anyway.


This is really good. It really sets the mood for me. Just a couple notes, though... If I had a highlighter, I'd be in business here. :P

This part:
It was high time to stop feeling antique and go to them, so I nodded slowly, weighing my ponytail back and forth with the movement.


I don't like the weighing part. Maybe you could try something like "Feeling the weight of my ponytail swing back and forth with the movement" instead?

And here:
With some effort, I unfolded my feet from underneath me


You can't unfold feet. Sorry, I'm just a little bit insane and something like that catches my attention. Legs could work better. Other than me being insane, I really do like this.

I trekked over to Abby’s truck, dodging running boys throwing their Nerf football and couples watching the stars on the grass.

“Evy!” Misty welcomed as soon as I made it over to them, “You’re alive! Where’ve you been all night?”

I clambered onto the hood of the truck, raising one shoulder and lowering the other. “Just thinking.”

“Thinking?” Abby scoffed, “At a party?” She guffawed.

Misty intervened, “Have you danced with anyone, Evy?”

I shook my head, smiling slightly. They should know. “I was hiding out over there.” I pointed with my soda can.
Abby laughed again. “You looked so lonely!”

Annabel---dyed purple by the soft paper lanterns hanging overhead---ambled over to us with a plate of chips and salsa. Abby lifted her camera and snapped a candid.

Annabel smiled her pastel smile, bland and comforting and intelligent. “Evy. You’ve come back to us.”

I nodded noncommittally, and looked back over the party approvingly. It was one of the more successful class summer parties, always held in Connor Barrimore’s big backyard. There was the familiar self-conscience and judgmental aura all around the almost-juniors that I knew so well from school---analyzing whatever everyone else was doing and then trying to do it, too. But it was okay, expected.


The character interaction you have here is really good. It's a great way to introduce new characters. But you might want to watch with Annabel and Abby. They're similiar names, so it might get confusing for the reader.

I trekked over to Abby’s truck, dodging running boys throwing their Nerf football and couples watching the stars on the grass.


I liked the use of the word trekked, you don't see it much, but I'd trim out the "their". Just to neaten things up a bit.

I clambered onto the hood of the truck, raising one shoulder and lowering the other.


Okay, I'm honestly not trying to be mean, but is that physically possible? Or at least would anyone really do that? I'm sitting here trying to do that and looking like an idiot.

The weather was nicer than it had been in weeks---muggy, warm---but cooler now that the sun was dropping lower and lower over the beachy skyline. The sky was surprisingly cloudless for once, not a trace of fog, and you could see the stars.


Your description is good here, but there are a couple of awkward turn of phrases. Like, "surprisingly cloudless" might be better as something like "surprisingly clear", and "and you could see the stars" better as something like "and the stars visible."

There was a sort of lucky perfection in the clear weather, the smell of the grilled macaroni and hot dogs the football players were barbequing, and the three-month-long forgiveness of peers that were willing to give you a clean slate so long as you would act like everyone else this year. There would be low-budget street fireworks, I knew, since the ground was dry enough. The annual Connor Barrimore Toast at the end of the evening would be funny and meaningless, but it would act as a pep talk for the coming year. Then we’d go back to our cliquish circles of friends and we’d gossip and watch until it was finally time to go home again.


This has quite a ring of of truth to it, and I like Evy's voice. She seems sort of cynical and I'm the type of weirdo who really relates to that. Just one thing. Is cliquish a word? Maybe try clique-like instead.

Dawn looked up from her fingernails and gave me a disparaging snort. “Stop being so picky, Evy,” she belittled, “You can’t always get what you want.”

We ignored her snide slights, like always.

“Fortunately for me,” I said cheerily, “I can. They’ve got hot dogs, remember?”


I don't really think picky should be italized. It reads a bit awkwardly, and makes the character seem a tad unrealistic to me.

Dawn sniffed, and went back to looking superiorly at her nails. I hopped off the truck’s hood, sensing victory.


Cut out the "superiorly". It's telling, not showing.

As we trotted over to the big gridiron grills that were spitting gray smoke and the smell of burning macaroni, the lanterns threw their soft colors over Annabel, making her change hues rapidly. But she was so easy to intrude color on. Annabel was a pastel sort of person, with her white-blond hair and matching skin, and her colorless eyelashes. Even her powder blue tank top and silver framed glasses added to her classic Annabel look.


I like the describing here, I'm just not sure if I'd italize Annabel. Not a big deal, though.

I followed her timidly up to the grills, not making eye contact with the quarterback serving the food, and quickly skirted around him to get to the chips-and-cookies-plus-celery-sticks-that-no-one-are-eating table as soon as he deposited a hot dog onto my bun. My devastating shyness was to the level of “social handicap” already, and I didn’t want him to see me turn pink.


It's interesting that your character's so shy when she has such a cool inner voice. You might want to cut out the "timidly" though, 'cause you want to show she's timid, not tell it. Devastating as well, for the same reason.

“You want to come over to my house after this?” Annabel asked me as I plunged my hand into the nearest bag of potato chips and dropped them on my plate, following this up with two more chance flavors, one of which might have been “jalapeño lime”.


This isn't a big deal, but jalapeno lime probably doesn't need to be in quotes.

“Misty and Abby are already coming over. But just us. We can, I don’t know, watch a movie? Eat some more junk food?”

It was nearing eleven o’clock right now, and my eyelids were getting heavy. But I didn’t want to disappoint her. “Sure.”


The commas don't flow perfectly for me. Maybe instead of "We can, I don’t know, watch a movie?" you could try "We can... I don’t know, watch a movie?"

And then you should take out the "right now" because you're writing in the past tense and I don't think it's correct to use now. I'm not sure, though.

“My mom is out, so she let me take the Prius.” My mother’s rule had been the same since before my sister or I had even dreamed of driving an automobile: “If you really want to drive, you’ll save up and buy your own car.” And I’d never committed to saving up the money, so I was without transportation most of the time.


"My mother's rule" should be the start of a new paragraph.

“Ooh,” Annabel complimented, “Look who’s driving.” This was in fact the first time that I’d actually driven a car since I got my license back in July, because I wasn’t insured anymore now that I wasn’t a learner.


Ooh isn't really a compliment, so I don't think it works there. Said might just be better. Also, "This was" should be the start of a new paragraph, not to be repetitive.

“Are we escaping early?” I wondered.

We were back to the truck, and Misty must have overheard. She looked appalled. “No! We’re staying for fireworks. And The Toast.”


Wondered might be better as asked, and it might be better not to capitalize the toast.

Connor laughed with them charismatically. “We’ve got fireworks going in the front!”

Everyone whooped and hollered.

Connor leaped off the table and started to run in the right direction, just as a BOOM and a reddish plume of smoke wafted in our direction from the front yard.

“Smoke bombs!” somebody cheered, and suddenly everyone was in the mood for cheap grocery store fireworks, and we all hopped up from wherever we were, and jogged around the house to meet the next round of colorful smoke bombs and firecrackers.


This isn't bad at all, but it seems like you're rushing. If you don't mind the editing, try something like this

Connor laughed back at them. “We’ve got fireworks going in the front!”

Everyone whooped and hollered as Connor leaped off the table and started to run towards the front lawn. Suddenly a loud BOOM sounded and a reddish plume of smoke wafted in our direction from the front yard.

“Smoke bombs!” somebody yelled.

Apparently everyone was in the mood for cheap grocery store fireworks. All around me people all hopped up from wherever they were, and jogged around the house to meet the next round of colorful smoke bombs and firecrackers.


It's not a big thing, though. Like the laughed back part just reads a little more smoothly. And then with the last paragraph you were sort of conflicting there. She called them cheap grocery store fireworks, which would lead one to believe that she could care less about them, and in the next she was getting up to get one. It could be a bit confusing for your audience.

Plus I got to drive the Prius there, and finally feel like a big girl again, with my car keys and my shiny and neglected driver’s license.


I just like her voice here. :D

So I peeled out on the main road, looking beach-ward and driving only a little bit faster than the speed limit.


This is probably nitpicking, but I don't like "beach-ward".

I got there faster than I had wanted to, with more minutes to spare and nothing to do. A walk on the beach would take too long, plus the icy gusts of wind that were beginning to blow off of the water were sure to be killer. But I feared falling asleep if I stayed sitting in the cab of my car, so I popped in a soft jazzy CD and cranked the volume knob around enough times that I could hear the mumble of the sax when I clambered into the chilly air and leaned against the car’s hood.


This is good, you just might want to trim the run-on sentence a bit. It seems a bit rushed.

My thoughts roamed aimlessly. Minor, mild things caught my attention: the sea foam and the spot where I imagined the moon would be if it weren’t a new moon tonight. The stars were brave.


The stars were brave is really nice. Great wording there.

Late night beach bums were lost somewhere on the sandy boardwalk or the dock; they wouldn’t dare bother me under my abandoned cliffs in the dark.

And the waves and I were the only things alive to make a sound.


This is a good, too. ^^

But wait. I cocked my head to the side, imagining I heard a disturbance in the water. No sea monsters, no impending doom, just a dog or another human coming to disrupt my peace. But I definitely wasn’t imagining it; there was a sloshy static rhythm conflicting with the pattern of the waves.


I don't think "But wait" should be italized.

Footsteps, and coming this way. Rationally, people came to this beach all the time, during the late night and early morning, and I shouldn’t care if another random beach runner came jogging by me. But the coward inside of me quivered and noted suddenly how dark it was, here under the new moon and the cliffs. The sound was getting much closer, and I couldn’t see what was making the noise.

Always safe and sometimes sorry, I inched back into the car and shut off my CD. Curious still, I flipped on my brights to try and catch the perpetrator.

And I did.


And?????? Haha, very nice cliffhanger there. I'd really like to know when you put up more!! This is really good. Oh, and ellipses is a really cool title. Very unique.

- Laina





Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting.
— John Green